Friday, December 12, 2008

Is it really that time again.....picking orders time....here we go again!

I can't believe its really time to start thinking about where we are off to next. In some ways I am so excited but in others there is so much dread. This has got to be the most involved and hard move we will have with the three boys. Jacob especially has such a hard time with change that I am really not looking forward to his reaction. Although, a couple of weeks ago I mentioned to him that this time next year we would probably be in the car driving to our new home and he at first started to tear up and said "NO! I don't want to move" then as quickly as it started he got a sly smile on his face and sucked those tears back in and came up with "then can I get a lizard! for my room! can I!" So maybe a lizard will make it all better (shoot me now!).

I have really enjoyed moving around the country with Ian. I love finding out where we are headed and doing research (I drive Ian insane! but hey that is my job, right?) I don't however love saying goodbye. The past two years here we have met some of the most wonderful people. We have gone back or started going whichever the case might be to church and had some phenomenal experiences with the people there. It is hard to think of going some place else. It is also hard to think of Ian being gone all the time again. I know I am not ready for that. It is something we will have to adjust to (me kicking and screaming a long the way).

So, for now each month a list of orders come out that Ian can "apply" for if he chooses. Then you sit back and wait a couple/few weeks and the list comes back out and it either says you are selected for those orders or they were taken by someone else. Ian said there was nothing amazing on the list this time. Although there were orders back to the ship he left to come here. Too bad it is in Japan and he has no desire to move there. I would go in a heartbeat but NOT with him on a ship. Talk about never seeing him!

He REALLY (and I mean really) wants to go back to Washington. I would not mind but I also would not mind going back to San Diego (which is not his favorite idea). San Diego would work for me. I know where everything is and would be comfortable there AND its the closest to family. That right there is the key. Then I find out last night that my close friend Valerie's husband will be transferred this summer when we thought it would be the following February. They have decided to go back to San Diego (if they can get orders) so to go back right along with them would be AWESOME! The boys and her girls are more like cousins than just friends/neighbors. We have gone through deployment together, birth of all the kids except Jacob (Jacob was 4 months when we met) holidays together, you name it. It is going to be torture to say goodbye and know we are not heading to the same place. It was bad enough when they moved out here 5 months ahead of us!

This is the story of a military family though. While it is hard to say goodbye I am so very thankful for what we have. I am thankful to go to bed at night knowing without a doubt Ian will have a job the next day and for years to come. I am thankful to know that if I am sick or my kids are sick we can go to the doctor 100% paid for including prescriptions. There is no worrying about "are you sick enough to go pay to see the doctor". I am thankful that Ian does something that his sons can look up to and be proud of. I am thankful for the time we have had here as a family and the time we have ahead of us this next year before Ian is off on whatever adventure is next.

So yes, it really is that time again. Am I excited? You bet! Am I scared? Definitely! I will keep you updated as things unfold.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Lizzard?? Remember this is sea duty. How about a Beta Fish? It's a good compromise...right?

I know you will go where you are supposed to go. We are supposed to be picking orders, but you know the whole mess with that. I just want orders to get back onto shore duty. Keep us in your prayers and I will do the same. I'm just not sure where I want to go. I think we want to try something totally different. I guess time will tell! :D Oh and as far as WA...really look into the schools before you look at orders. I have heard NOTHING but BAD reviews on the schools.

Jodie, Stefan and Natalia said...

I hope you guys get the pick you want. I love having you here, but am excited for what the future brings for you! We'll miss you, but let's just enjoy the next year!

Sharon said...

How exciting... I thought we were gonna be in that same boat soon, but NO! We just found out we got extended a year!! UGHGH So April 2011. HELP!

Stephanie and Meghan said...

Well, I would love to have you closer, so SD would be great. but I have never been to WA, so that would be cool too...because you know...I have a decision in all of this! I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers that things will transition smoothyl no matter what happens.
Love ya and miss ya!