Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Nathan's First Day of Preschool!!!



I have a lot to catch up on in the last week but HAD to take five minutes to post about Nathan's FIRST day of PRESCHOOL! We have been waiting for today for months but the anticipation has been worse since Jacob started school. Nathan is attending the Glenview Park District Preschool which is only about 2 miles from our house. He will go Tuesdays and Thursdays for two hours each day. He has two great teachers, Miss Kathy and Miss Marlene. And Nathan the way he is (never forgets a name) already knows exactly who they are and what their names are:)

I was a little worried about today as my parents and sister have been visiting for a week and left this morning that Nathan would be upset about their going and then adding a new thing would be too much but he did great. They had parents stay for the first little bit and then let us go if we wished. Knowing Nathan I realized if I did not leave today come Thursday he would expect me to stay once again. I figured it would be better to have him a little upset today than make it worse for weeks to come.

The past few days we got all ready for today. We got Nathan some new clothes and a new backpack (Diego of course--the child is somewhat obsessed) and yesterday he got a "big boy preschool" haircut (as he called it).

I am so excited that Nathan will have preschool for HIM since Jacob is in school and Owen will be here before we know it. I am hoping having this outlet will help him adjust to being a big brother.

In the packet that his teachers gave us today was a small bookmark with this poem. Good thing I did not really read it until I got home! I am I think over emotional/hormonal but it is a sweet poem:

The First Day

I gave you a little wink and smile
As you entered my room today.
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay.
You've been with him for many years now
And have been a loving guide.
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave him at my side.
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheeks may flow.
I'll love him as I would my own
And help him learn and grow.
For as a parent, I too know
How quickly the years do pass.
And that one day, it was my turn
To take my child to class.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more
For I will love him and take him in
When you leave him at my door.

Miss Kathy and Miss Marlene
September 2008

Here are a few pictures of Nathan's big day. He was quite grumpy beforehand and refused to let me get a good picture but afterwards when he wanted to show off his BLUE picture he finally relented and actually smiled. I really wanted to get a picture of him and Kinley but he refused. Gotta love the stubborn kid. I have no clue where he got it from........




Walking into school telling me "I DON'T want my picture taken!"



Showing off his DIEGO "rescue" pack!



Trying to sit patient on the circle carpet.



Playing with the sand table. He was in heaven having his choice of sand table, play dough, art with PENS, playing with helicopters/trucks/legs etc, and dressing up like a FIREMAN to name a few things during free play

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he's already in preschool! Where has the time gone?! Has it really been THAT LONG since we last saw each other? ;) Hope you're all doing well...Brian and I miss you all so much! :)

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness Sarah! He looks so grown up and handsome. And thanks for the river running down my face. That poem was soo true. Preschool will for sure help him in getting used to his new brother, which, oh my goodness.... he will be here before we know it!!

Jodie, Stefan and Natalia said...

He's so cute! I'm sure he felt really proud. It's nice that when your little guy comes you'll have a little bit of time with just him too!