Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sailing on Lake Michigan




Yesterday was a first for our family. My boss, John, invited us to head up to Racine, Wisconsin to go out sailing in his father's 35 foot sail boat. Finally yesterday was a good weather day so we headed up. Thank you to MWR (Morale Welfare Recreation) on base we got free GOOD life jackets for all of us and were on our way. First we had lunch at the boat house and then headed onto the boat. The boys were soooo excited. A little too much actually.

Once we got out the water was a lot rougher than had been projected so we only had the smaller front sail (spinaker sp?) up but we were going up to just under 6 knots which I guess is pretty good. The boys, especially Nathan just wanted to "drive" the boat and spent most of the time with John or Ian "helping" steer. Those poor guys arms were so sore from trying to keep it where it was supposed to be with Nathan hanging on it. Jacob was a little upset when the boat would go side to side but with some reassurance was okay.

The only downside was me. I had a feeling that going out on the water seven months pregnant and eating the crab wraps before going out (what was I thinking?) would not be the best idea...after heading down below to get the boys a water bottle it pretty much did me in. I had a lovely time seeing everything I ate come back up over and over until it was all gone. FUN! As Ian likes to tease me I "barfed like a champ". I tried hard to just stick it out and not ruin anyone else's fun. Ian said he was surprised I did as good as I did so I guess that is something.

Overall it was a great trip and I would love to go again....on a empty stomach:) with some dramamine in me. For Ian it made him realize how much he does miss being out to sea.

After we left we stopped on our way home at the Jelly Belly Factory with 4 minutes to spare for Ian to get some flops (YUM) and then had dinner on the way home. It was a great family day but I am sooooo thankful tomorrow is a holiday so we can get some things done around here and maybe go shopping.

Here are some pictures of our day:





The first two pictures are of the boys down below waiting "patiently" to get going. The smile on Nathan's face is when John fired up the engine:)



Ian being Ian--I love him!





Nathan "helping" drive as he called it.









Jacob helping steer and a super cute one that I love of him and Ian.



As you can tell by the end Jacob was pooped. This is him resting with Susan, a friend of John's.

1 comments:

Sharon said...

How fun!! I would have been in the same boat as you were in (no pun intended). Pregnant or not..I would have been SICK! Glad you were able to stick it out. BTW...Jacob is geting so big.