This has been quite the week with Owen. Well, really it has been quite the 8 months since we moved here that he has been sick. He finished round three of antibiotics for his 3rd sinus infection since December mid week last week. He seemed "ok" for a few days. Sunday we went to church as normal and he went to the nursery all by himself for the first time and seemed to have a good time but then......after his nap he woke up warm and cried and cried and screamed the rest of the day. Monday came and we had plans to go to the beach again but he woke up with 101-102 fever and was so miserable. So he and I spent the entire day on the couch. Every time the Tylenol wore off the fever spiked. There was even more crying that day. Poor kid. Monday he woke up seeming better but it lasted only about an hour. It was a crazy day for me with both kids in their separate schools and two doctor appointments but I cancelled my appointments and made him one. Thank goodness I did. By the time we got there his eye was all puffed up and purple. I honestly was not sure if he fell in his crib and hit himself or if it had to do with whatever sickness he had. The doctor came him and we talked and she saw how he had just gotten off the meds and then she checked his ears. FULL of puss. Both of them. The purple around his eye was the infection moving into his sinuses around his eye. GREAT! So after discussion we decided to give him shots of heavy doses of antibiotics. He was so miserable and cried the rest of that day. Then Wednesday came. The nurses told me he would be a different boy the next day. It was definitely a different kid that went running into the waiting room greeting each receptionist with a big "HI HI HI". His ears were clearer and there was no more fever but definitely still not better. So here we are on a third round of meds, this time stronger ones for 10 days. We go back on the 20th to recheck and reassess. The doctor is putting in a referral to see a ENT specialist and we will go from there. We also had maintenance come out and check every window, door, under the sink, in the bathroom etc for any signs of moisture/mold. They found none. I see allergy testing and tubes in his future. I just want him to get better. He still is not feeling well and is spending the day crying but you have to add in teething (he cut one eye tooth this week) and the fact he is pushing 20 months and smart. He knows what he wants and holy heck if you don't give it to him and fast enough. His vocabulary is growing leaps and bounds. Our favorites are his saying "bless you" when someone sneezes and "thank you". He is getting better and better with the colors too and I think is recognizing at least green. He says yellow really well surprisingly. He drags this ripped animal book around everywhere wanting me to look at the pictures with him. I had no idea he could say Lion or Giraffe until the other day. He calls Giraffes "raffes". I love this age where they just soak everything up.
He is now refusing to sit in his booster seat. He wants to kneel and sit like us. So we have tried a few meals and I have to say he does pretty good and its a lot more peaceful.
Now if the screaming would just subside. Ian and I are both ready to put in ear plugs....
While it has been a LONG week there have been a few fun moments. On Wednesday the boys and I were playing in the play room when Ian got home. All three boys ran to the window along with the dog and were screaming DADDY DADDY DADDY over and over again. I had to take a picture. Keira had followed me down stairs but you can see the boys. They always are thrilled when he comes home but for whatever reason they were exceptionally overjoyed this day!
Jacob came home today with a certificate saying he has reached level 16 for reading! This is the level he needs to be at to meet the standards for the fourth quarter of school. He made it! We are so proud of him. Through his struggles he is improving every day. His assignment for this week is to design and construct a castle and then they are having a ball in their "royal classroom". He is SO excited to do it he has been driving me NUTS! We hope to get it accomplished this weekend. So, stayed tuned to pictures of prince Jacob and his castle.
Oh and I can't forget Nathan. He is practicing writing his name. He can do first and last now without any help from me at all. So now we are moving onto having him write it neatly in the lines. I struggled so much with Jacob both with his willingness to work with me and his fine motors that it is such a different experience having Nathan do it. He complains very little and just has a better grasp of the fine motors. He finishes preschool this upcoming week and is driving me bananas begging (and I mean crying begging) to go to kindergarten every day. September cannot come soon enough for that boy!
Friday, July 9, 2010
Owen and the very, very, very LONG week!
Posted by Sarah Heller at 5:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
have you ever tried taking dairy out of Owen's diet to help with his sinus and ear problems?? when matthew was still nursing he was constantly sick and a runny nose or congested even chest congestion so since i was to little to be put on anything I did what they say to do start talking high allergens out of my diet...and well within days he was getting better(they say it can take three wks or so for the milk proteins to be out of your milk and babys system). I stopped nuring because me switching to soy didnt help him it made it come back so I knew something was not right.. Mr. man is on a soy and dairy free diet and hypoallergenic formula.it may be worth a try before more meds or even surgery for tubes is done on the poor lil guy.. GOOD LUCK!
Post a Comment