Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Longest Week Ever

This has been the longest week! It started out Monday on my way home from work Ian's car started acting funny. I knew right away something was up and then the check engine light came on. Lovely just perfect. Thankfully it was on my way home not with him half way up to base or something. Blessings in disguise I guess. So, Ian at first thought it was what happened last year that it was a spark plug and/or wires. He had just enough time to get the plugs and throw them in before work. Nope not it. So he got a ride to work. Then Tuesday he forced himself to get up super early and went and got plugs thinking it may be the coil but wanted to try the plugs first (cheaper) he ran home threw them in and nope that was not it either. So just as he is going to go get the diagnostic run he gets a great phone call saying he is being activated and needs to get to base ASAP. So much for fixing the car he is off. The poor guy worked from noon yesterday until 4 am this morning. He got home about 4:30 and crashed only to get four phone calls between 7 and 10 when he had to get up and do his mid term for school. (Yes, for those of you family members who don't know Ian is a college student! (finally!) he is taking Psycology and Physiology and the midterm for one was due by today. So he spent an hour and a half doing that and then literally ran out the door back to work at noon and is working until midnight tonight. They are "graciously" giving him 24 hours off and he has to be back in by midnight tomorrow night. I just "love" the military sometimes! It is what it is and it would not be so bad if his car was working but its not. I just am praying its the coil so he can fix it himself and the thing can keep running just 8 more months until we leave here. That is all I ask!

Oh and another mini vent. I wish his special detailer would call him or email him! I really would love to know what is going to happen with orders. I just have no patience and Ian is just like "oh well when it happens it happens" Grrrr I guess that is why we balance each other out so much?

So now that I have gotten that off my chest I need to make a list of the things I am thankful for. Maybe it will help me put things into perspective.

I am so thankful that NONE of us are sick. Nathan is almost done with his antibiotics but everyone is healthy.

I am thankful we have ONE car that is running. One is better than none?

I am thankful as much as I HATE the military some days that Ian has a job with pretty much 100% job security. I am thankful I will wake up to his paycheck in the bank tomorrow morning.

I am thankful for prayer because without it this week I would be in a straight jacket now.

I am thankful for Ian. Thankful he works so hard and then tries so hard to be a good dad and husband. He even called tonight to say goodnight to the boys which was a great surprise for them. They miss him this week.

I am thankful for 3 month old smiles and belly laughs. Owen just makes our day. Watching Jacob and Nathan with him is such a joy.

Okay I could keep going. Just needed to give myself a smack int he face to wake up and be thankful.

Hang in there to all of you who I know first hand are not having the best time.

3 comments:

Danica Osborn said...

"mama said that there'd be weeks like this, mama said, mama said..." blah! this sounds like a rough week for you. so help me out, b/c i really don't know much about the military. first of all, what exactly does being activated entail? is this new news that you're leaving in 8 months? that is devestating--i don't want to think about it. your family is so integral to our ward. :(

you're a trooper to be trying to look on the positive side of things. but vent all you want babe, it's your blog!

Sarah Heller said...

Ian is on the security force team for the base and they are doing drills making it seem like they are at a high threat level so he was activated as in taken from his regular job to be active full time on the security side if that makes sense? He is slated to leave here in November. But as I vented about in my blog we don't have orders yet. He has put in for a set but has to talk to his detailer to be approved before we have them for sure and until that happens we won't know when we will actually leave. Its going to be soooo hard leaving this ward! At this point we don't know if he will go and leave us here for a while, or if we will all go....which is why I just want to know!:) Like I said NO patience.

Jodie, Stefan and Natalia said...

oh sarah, it has definitely been a rough week for you guys! stefan knows some about cars if ian needs some help. also, does he know that he can get a free diagnostic thing at autozone or one of those stores....? i can ask stefan more details if you need them.