Sunday, February 15, 2009

"Out of the Mouth of Babes"

I have some pictures to blog but figured I would wait until after Jacob's birthday tomorrow to do so but I had to share this little "Jacob funny" from yesterday.

Jacob's main chore is to feed Keira (the dog) morning and night. We were rushing to get out the door yesterday morning and he went into the pantry to feed her and a few minutes later I hear "mommmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy I touched a knife....AND I am Bleeeeeeeeeeeedddinnnnnnnnnnnng" (if you can imagine a him crying/yelling. So surprisingly I am pretty calm and tell him to come to me while saying "where did you find a knife in the pantry?! (I do not keep knives in there). Then I hear Ian say "uh oh" He used a filet knife to cut open the dog food bag and then left it in there. (Good job honey!)

So, here is Jacob bleeding and sobbing but not crying because he is hurt he is crying because he KNOWS darn well he is not to touch a knife. He keeps apologizing and saying "I don't want a spanking". And I am sitting there trying not to laugh just shaking my head. Finally I get him wrapped up to stop the bleeding and he calms a bit and tells me "mommy I sure learned a valuable lesson today" (now I really am trying not to laugh) and I said to him "I am sure you did. You know not to touch knives and now you see what can happen" he then sits there a second and says "mommy what IS a valuable lesson?" I about peed my pants. It is so funny to me that he uses things in the right context but still has no clue what it means!

Another good one is last week I talked to my friend Trudy who is his teacher at church. The kids have been working on acting appropriately and being reverent. IT was prayer time and Jacob was to give the prayer so he was standing with his arms folded and waiting for the other kids to do the same and at least one was not cooperating. Trudy said that he stood there a minute and then in a very sarcastic tone says "um excuse me but I am about to lose my temperature!" She said it took everything not to burst out laughing. He is such a crack up.

Then onto Nathan. Last week we are eating dinner and this boy is a carnivore just like his father. We were having steak and blueberries which are two of his most favorite foods. He just could not get enough and gobbled up the first helping and asked Ian for more blueberries then with his face stuffed with those he was asking for meat. Ian told him "why don't you eat your blueberries and we can see where you are at". Nathan looks at Ian like he is nuts and says "daddy I am right here eating my blueberries" (DUH DADDY!) Ian and I both about spit food across the table. What would we do without them for entertainment? I can't wait to see what Owen brings. He already is getting more and more animated each day.

I can't believe tomorrow Jacob will be six! It is amazing to me that I have been a mommy for six whole years now. In some ways it seems like forever and in others just like it was yesterday. Tomorrow should be a blast! We are heading down to Chicago for some fun. Look for some pretty funny pictures to come including Ian changing one nasty diaper (no gross pictures but the pictures of Ian with smell blocking accessories included are hilarious!)

1 comments:

Danica Osborn said...

they are hysterical!!! trudy had told me that story about jacob and his "temperature" and i tell that to everybody! honestly, every one of my grandparents has heard about jacob's temperature. haha

dang cute kids!!!