Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Finding the positive when things feel negative

There have been a lot of rough spots the past month or so here and at times I have found myself pretty low. But it is the little things that really bring things into perspective. Little things that my boys do to make me proud or smile. The dentist to me is a four letter word. Nothing good has EVER come from me going. Genetics were not kind to me in this area and since 2007 we have been paying down thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of work that I had done and now here we are back to even more piling on. This is not something I am normally public about. It is very upsetting and embarrassing to me but it is what it is. It is quite frustrating to say the least.

Today Jacob had his second (and last thank goodness for now) filling and had sealants put on his molars. He went in two weeks ago for the first of his two fillings and was such a champ. It does not hurt that the dentist is SO great with kids. Today he came in and shook Jacob's hand and Jacob blurts out "can I ask you a question?". Of course I am sitting there dying trying to figure out what is going to come out of his mouth (this is the same child who asked me last week and I quote "so mom did it hurt when you pooped me out??") and the dentist tells him sure what question do you have and Jacob says "well I just wanted to know if you wanted to be friends with me?". My heart melted. He can be so cute at times. The dentist said SURE! I would LOVE to be your friend and made a big deal out of it. Jacob was again the perfect patient. The dentist and hygenist asked me towards the end how old he was again and I told them and they both were amazed at how wonderful he was. They said they did not think they had ever worked on a 7 year old who was so patient and good. He made me proud today. Both with his sweet attitude and patience for the not so fun stuff presented to him. I rushed him home then went back for my own appointment and the dentist again praised him. He kept telling him "Jacob you are THE man". Jacob LOVED that. He said he needed to call his wife and tell her about Jacob asking to be his friend. He said that had never happened and he just loved it.

So onto my woes. I have to go see a second specialist hopefully Friday to see for sure where things stand. The dentist recommended I go to The Navy Marine Core Relief Society where they will sometimes give grants to military and military family with special medical bills. I can only hope and pray that this works out. It would be a huge huge blessing to have help to get what I need to have done (or re-done which is part of the case) and not have additional debt to pay off. Either way it will work out. Ian is my rock and he just tells me together we will work it all out. Whether he seriously has that much faith or not it sure is nice to hear. I guess we shall see how things fall into place over the next few weeks.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate to all of the dental work, but it will all work out. Give me a call if you just need to vent.