Friday, October 1, 2010

The "sneaky toilet" and other school news!


Don't you love the toilet? This was Nathan's prize for turning in post cards for his fundraiser. It is called the sneaky toilet. You fill it with water then lift the lid and it squirts water at the person in front of you. He is so excited about this thing. He brought it home from school and ran in and filled it with water before I could even get in the house with Owen. He quickly ran up to me yelling "mommy! Look at my toilet!" and squirted water ALL over me. I just LOVE getting water all over my glasses:) It was hilarious though he really did get me good. He was laughing so hard he was falling over. So I told him that when Ian got home he had to get his dad too so then it was time to wait. We filled it all up ready to go and waited for Ian to get home. When he did Nathan grabbed it and ran outside to Ian, who barely made it out of his jeep before he got him just as good. I thought the prize was totally stupid but obviously whoever came up with it is smarter than I am because my five yer old thinks it is the best thing EVER.

This N was Nathan's very first homework assignment. He had to cut the N out and decorate it with his picture and things that begin with N. All the kids' letters will be displayed on their classroom Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree. He and I had a really good time finding pictures and gluing on all of the noodles. He was very proud to turn it in this week. Today he got his first REAL packet of homework. The teachers sends home homework on Friday then it is due the following Friday. I like that we have the option of using the weekend. He took one look at the packet and said "do I REALLY have to do that?" yep kid you do! He gets a monthly report home and so today September's came home. He got smiley faces and good reports for everything except one section which he got a "okay" face for and that was for following rules at recess. He has admitted that he has not realized recess was over and has gotten warnings to pay attention. I guess if that is the worst thing then I will take it! This week he has "donuts for dads" where dads can come visit the classroom for the first 45 minutes and read a book to the class if they choose. We are hoping Ian can go with him. I think that sounds really cute.

I can't forget Jacob. I wanted to share this picture of a self portrait he did in school for back to school night. Ian and I were teasing him that he made himself look like an old, balding man. I love the glasses. It sounds like he is going to get to do a LOT of really fun and exciting things this year. Right now he is really struggling to focus, pay attention and get work done. I have had many talks with his teacher. He had a few good days this week and at least one not great one. It is a constant struggle. I do like his teacher. She is very nice and I think is a good teacher but I honestly think she is just not the right personality for Jacob. After being in the class a couple times this week it is just chaos. Granted some of the kids are nuts (including Jacob). But it just seems like a free for all when they are doing their centers. I think Jacob totally feeds into that and runs with it in the wrong direction. He needs structure to the point of it being almost too much. So, we shall see how things progress. He knows what he needs to do and knows there are rewards for doing so and consequences if he does not. Pray for him AND me! We need it.

1 comments:

Christina said...

HAHA Nathan!

Love the picture Jacob!

Can't wait to see you all soon!