My grandfather has not been doing very well and is now in the Loma Linda, CA VA hospital. Doctors were not very encouraging at his recovery after being found unconscious earlier this week so my dad decided to fly down to make sure he could say his goodbyes and/or help him get comfortable. Yesterday they moved him to the convalescent/hospice part of the hospital. The boys and I were going to meet Dad half way in Temecula, but after some discussion he asked if we could come later today when Ian could come and help him give my grandpa a blessing. (A blessing given by a Melchizedek Priesthood holder, by the laying on of hands and by inspiration, to one who is sick or otherwise in need of special counsel, comfort, or healing. If the blessing is for the sick, consecrated oil is used (James 5:14-15).)
So, after Ian was done with school he rushed home, showered and I believe we were out the door in well under a half hour. We were lucky and got just in front of most of the traffic and made the 90 miles in about two hours. Not bad considering how bad I thought it was going to be. We met my dad at the hospital and Ian and the boys fed ducks outside while I went in with my dad. We found Grandpa in the common area having his dinner. (or at least that is what he was supposed to be doing he was more or less poking at it). He got SO excited to see me and dad. It was cute as he was just a bit confused and was telling the nurses very proudly that my dad was his OLDEST son (he is actually the third of four boys) and that I was "his best wife ever". We just laughed. But then within just a few minutes when my dad went to find him something he asked me where my dad went so I knew he had realized I was not my mom. He then was so sweet and patted me on the arm and smiled and said "you know you are just the prettiest girl". Talk about warming my heart. I asked him how he was doing today and with a twinkle in his eye and a big grin he puffed out his chest (as much as he can) and with a little nod of the head exclaimed "Well, not too bad for a man of EIGHTY EIGHT years!". It was very very cute! I am still smiling thinking of it.
The boys were not allowed to go in the hospital to see him (swine flu) but we asked if he wanted to go out to see them. I think he was a bit confused and the last time I saw him Nathan was a baby so he thought I only had two boys but he was very excited to see them and said to Ian "wow you two sure have been busy huh?" That gave all of us adults a good laugh. Jacob and Nathan (Nathan especially) was so cute. They gave him hugs and Nathan kept trying to tell him something but he can only hear, barely out of one ear so finally I asked Nathan what he wanted to say and with exasperation he said "I JUST want to tell him I love him so much!" So sweet. He is can be such a sweet guy. So I relayed his message and Grandad just grinned and said oh I love you too! Then Nathan proceeded to grab grandad's big nose and say "ah hah! Got your nose grandpa!" Grandpa played along and Nathan was loving it.
All too soon Dad and Ian took him back in so they could give him a blessing and the boys and I walked the paths and watched the ducks and geese. It was good to see a nice, clean facility for him to stay in. I would love to go and see him again soon if he continues to do okay.
Then it was onto Chuck E Cheese that Grandpa (my dad) had found by his hotel. Talk about making two certain boys of mine SO happy. They had a blast running wild for two hours before we put them back in the car for the ride home. Owen had fun trying out the toddler slide and ate kidney beans until he was about to pop from the salad bar. The boy loves, LOVES beans.
A PROUD Mommy moment: Jacob made quick friends with a little girl named Katelyn his age. They played the whole night. We were cracking up watching them. They would be walking through the crowds and she would grab his hand and pull him along and of course he would just follow. As we were getting ready to leave he ran back into her and her mom with Ian and the mom said "ooooooh YOU are JACOB's dad." She told Ian how impressed she was with him. I guess the kids were getting ready to get into a ride and Jacob got half in, stopped, backed up and said "oops Ladies first" and let the girl get in first. The mom said her jaw just dropped and that she could not believe what she just heard and she knew he must have some great parents. WOW! Jacob listed to this whole thing with a HUGE grin, especially when Ian told him "wow Jacob thats great, give me a high five!" He and Ian butt heads a lot and you could just tell Jacob was SO pleased to know he made Ian proud.
All in a a great, great day. What a treat to get to see my dad again so soon. I just wish it could be longer. I miss him! And now here I am at 11:30 baking Nathan's cake so it can be ready tomorrow to cut up and piece together, cover with fondant and decorate. He wants a space ship cake so a space ship is what he will get...I just can't promise how good it will look!
Saturday, January 9, 2010
A visit to see (Great) Grandad and a proud mommy moment
Posted by Sarah Heller at 1:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment