Ian and I have a few things we are working on this year, or that we would like to work on this year and finally today we started one of our goals. This is to do some sort of daily family scripture study.
Yes, I know it is March and we are already two months into this year, we had good intentions of starting way before now, but better late than never? The problem we were having is how we wanted to go about doing this. Did we want to read out of an adult version of the scriptures, child version. Did we want to read straight through or have a certain topic? We were stuck. Neither of us could decide. Then last week I had to run to a store and it just so happened the church bookstore was in the same complex so I "had" to stop by. I found this book on clearance and knew it was perfect for what I was looking for. It is a book of family scripture study and it has a theme for each month. I bought the book and showed it to Ian and he agreed it would be great for the boys.
This month's topic is on the mission of the Holy Ghost. It has you make five kites and on each kite you write something the Holy Ghost does for example it enlightens our minds, it comforts and uplifts, it guides and protects to name three. So I got to work making my colored construction kites. Then you add some yard for the tail and then six ribbons for each tail. On the back of the ribbons you paste a scripture then each day we will read one and place it on our kite tail. I made it easier for the kids by color coating the ribbons to the kites. They were pretty excited and intrigued to see the kites displayed on our dining room wall this evening. Jacob finished his dinner first so he got to pick what color ribbon he wanted. He chose red which is the "enlightens your mind" kite. The scripture he chose was out of the Book Of Mormon, from a chapter by the name of Moroni (chapter 10 verse 5) and it reads "And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." Simple and so true. We had Jacob read it and then he got to place the ribbon on its tail. Nathan was jealous that he did not get to do it too but tomorrow he will get his turn.
I think we have found a winner. It is something interactive, and short to stick with their attention span while at the same time Ian and I can end our day with them on a positive note. I am excited for next month to make little basket with Easter eggs to go in that each have a scripture. Probably a little too excited! I think the kites turned out pretty cute and when they have their ribbons will be even cuter. What do you think?
Here is the red kite with its first bow.
Monday, March 1, 2010
Accomplishing a goal
Posted by Sarah Heller at 11:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment