Yesterday I met with the speech therapist, Jacob's teacher and an administrator from the school for an IEP meeting regarding mainly Jacob's speech therapy he is receiving at school. I had been anxiously awaiting this meeting because I knew I would also get a clearer picture on how Jacob is doing in the classroom both academically and emotionally.
Jacob has done great with his speech goals. Jacob does have a slight lisp and loosing his two front teeth has definitely not helped him out in this area:) One tooth is almost half way in though so I know it won't be long before his second one follows. Jacob still struggles a bit with his s/z sounds but the main problem for him is his th. However, it seems as though developmentally boys sometimes do not have that sound grasped until age 8 so he still has time before he even hits that age. The speech therapist said she can tell that he has been in speech therapy that he KNOWS what he needs to do its just when he gets talking in the middle of sentences that all of it goes out the window. So she will be taking him out just once a week to work on slowing his rapid talking (good luck as he is related to me!) and the few sound issues that he has. We work daily (or try) to on his speech "homework" which is saying words that have the "th" sound in it his month as in "bath", "hearth", to name a few. The speech therapist explained to me that having a lisp and trying to keep your tongue behind your teeth and THEN to ask him to bring his tongue OUT in front of his teeth at the same time is very challenging. I never thought of it that way and it makes perfect sense!
Then it was Jacob's teacher's turn to talk about him. I am so proud of him. We had so many, many, MANY emotional days with Jacob last year and even the first part of this year. It was so great to hear that not one time has she ever had him have a complete melt down to where he just could not function. She was actually surprised to hear that he was like that last year. YEA! HUGE growth and improvement for him. I knew that eventually he would grow past the tears and meltdowns but some days it seemed as if it would never happen. She said that emotionally and socially Jacob is spot on for his age and peers. She said he WANTS to do good and is friendly and great at making friends. (no surprise there).
A side note...Jacob's birthday is next week. Over the break a new boy moved into the area and into his class. This little boy has Diabetes and as everyone is bringing cupcakes for their birthdays Jacob noticed that this one boy could not share in the treat without going to get a shot. So, when I asked Jacob what he wanted me to bring for his birthday he told me "I don't know mom I just know not cupcakes because Kevin can't have one and if he can't have one too thats not fair so I need to bring something else". Proud mommy moment! How many six year old boys would think of one other child and give up cupcakes for their birthday? I am still not 100% sure what we will do but I have some more insight after talking to Kevin's mom. I just love my sensitive boy!
As for as Jacob and his academics I know from speaking to his teacher before (and working with him at home) that his biggest struggle is being able to focus and stay on track. That and being willing to take a chance and try especially with writing. He wants it to be RIGHT or will not do it. He wants you to tell him how to spell something and then he will write it. He hates if its not perfect and is very very hard on himself. His teacher tested him on reading the other day and he just missed the district standard she said it was so so close. This encouraged me as we have been working and honestly I thought he was doing worse. So with some more work he should be on track by the grading period I hope! If you sit and read or do math with Jacob he can do it. But leave and try to get him to do it on his own and he is off doing who knows what. So the main goal is getting him to focus and work indpendently. I voiced my concerns about his fine motor skills that I think are still holding him back a bit (and may have a bit to do with the focusing as well) so they are going to put in a request for the occupational therapist to evaluate him as well. Yea! I will take any evaluation and insight we can get! Another great note I found out they have this small "math club" type group that meets. Its a very small group of kids and they do "games" and such to reinforce the math they are learning. A couple of spots opened up and Jacob's teacher was able to get him in so now he will be having that extra help as well. I am just so relieved to finally know what is going on and what is being done to give him some extra encouragement. I have been so frustrated since we got here.
So, all in all Jacob is doing good. He still continues to struggle and we continue to work and work but he IS improving and that is the big picture we are trying to look at. So my sister teachers any tips on helping encourage him to work more indpenedently and focus?
Another side note: Jacob's teacher and I had both been telling him "you need to focus Jacob". Finally one day in exasperation I said "Jacob you do know what focus means right?" and he looks at me and says "NO". I burst out laughing. Here for WEEKS we would tell him to try and focus and he would say "ok" the whole time him not even knowing what we were asking! So after a long talk and explanation I am confident he does now know what it means and it has become a little "thing" between him and his teacher. She said he thinks he is so smart knowing this "fancy word" and that she can now just kind of give him a look and say "Jacob focus" and he will get back on task. Improvement! I love it!
I can't believe this boy is going to be SEVEN next week! Now time to figure out what low carb treat he can bring to share....any ideas? I think it is time to visit my friend Google.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
~ Jacob ~
Posted by Sarah Heller at 2:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment