Saturday, February 20, 2010

Say What?

Owen is surprising us daily of how much he understands and how well he can communicate for his young 15 month age. This is a little TMI but I have to share. Tonight at dinner he started going to the bathroom. It was very obvious if you know what I mean. We tried to ignore him until he grunts and then says to me "poo poo!!" I about fell out of my chair. Then he grunts again and says "bi-per!" as in diaper. Say what? Ian and I were laughing so hard we could not talk. Just the image of his beet red face grunting and then saying that was too much. Then of course because he sees our reaction he kept saying it over and over. How does he know these things? I mean I have always been one to talk to my children as adults. Even as tiny, tiny babies I had whole conversations with them all day long. Lets face it I am a talker and there were many, many days, weeks and months where it was just me and Jacob or me, Jacob and Nathan. So, I guess it should not surprise me that Owen communicates so well but I don't even think Jacob was saying those things at that age and I thought he was a pretty advanced talker. Maybe I just have forgotten? Owen just cracks us up. Although I could do with out the "mine" and "no" which are becoming more and more frequent in his use of words, when you add in his "peas" and "tan-too"s with his sign language its just too cute.

I am so thankful to have three healthy boys. Its not to say they don't have their own challenges but I look at those who have children who can't communicate with them and it breaks my heart for those parents and the child and makes me all that more thankful for what I have.

0 comments: